2012-02-14

Valentine's Day Lunch


Happy Valentine's Day!  Recently my son asked me to stop kissing him in public, so I realized that this may be the last year I'm able to make him a theme lunch for Valentine's Day.  I may have gone a little overboard...

The idea of making a turkey dog heart came from Disney Family Fun, but I used the same technique for securing it internally using spaghetti as I did with the carrots, which I found at Give Peas a Chance.  Next to them is my very first onigiri, heart shaped of course.  I followed the directions for making it from Just Hungry, but used a large, heart shaped cookie cutter instead of a teacup to shape it.

Despite the love of sushi that both my husband and I have, I've been extremely hesitant to let The Kid try nori seaweed because of the potential for shellfish cross-contamination.  Instead of giving the onigiri a nori wrap to make handling it easier, I used a piece of red fruit roll up.  (Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to go to the health food store to get the real fruit leather kind.)

In the side compartments of the Easy Lunchbox are grapes and strawberry hearts and a raspberry and lemon flavored heart cookie.  Alongside is apple juice in a reusable juice box.

My husband took one look at it the lunch and, after wincing at the cute overload, suggested I pack a dose of insulin, too.

I'm sharing my son's sweet lunch with:

5 comments:

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Great lunch! Welcome to Thematic Thursday and Bento Blog Network. I hope you participate again! I'm following now!

Ruth Holroyd said...

WOW! When I think back to the lunches my mum for me they pale into insignificance. What a lucky kid. She did make us hand made valentines cards though, and we always knew, even later when we were old and she bought them, that they were from her. The handwriting kinda gave it away. Did he eat it all?

Tummy Belt said...

Your presentation is very appropriate for Valentine's Day. Thank you for sharing.

Margot said...

What a beautiful lunch Libby! I haven't been around for a while and I see you have changed your theme, I like it.
We don't have full test results yet but my little one is definitely allergic to peanuts...

Advocate By Fate said...

Congratulations Libby! I've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Awards! Read about it here:

http://www.advocatebyfate.com/2012/03/liebster-blog-awards.html

xo
Thanita