2011-02-01

Flatbread Tacos


When Foodbuzz sent out a request for kid friendly recipes as part of Make Time for Change's campaign to raise funds for Save the Children, I knew I this was an email I couldn't ignore.  So I went to my Kid and asked him if he could create any recipe for dinner, what would it be?

He paused.  I could almost see the wheels turning, as he blurted out "Make your own pizza tacos!" which combined his two favorite meals, pizza and make your own tacos.  Did he want pizza toppings on tortillas or the other way around?  It turned out he wanted the soft dough of a pizza and the do it himself element of taco night at our house.

I was sold.  Clearly, I need to start asking my kid these kind of questions more often!

Flatbread seemed the obvious choice for a soft and doughy taco wrap.  As I started to research Indian flatbreads, it turned out that naan is traditionally made with a very fine whole wheat flour, which gave me the excuse I needed to try the King Arthur White Whole Wheat flour that had been beckoning to me in the baking aisle.  I liked the simple technique I found in this naan recipe at Dyepot, Teapot, so I adapted the ingredients and was very happy with the result.

My son is my favorite helper in the kitchen, but honestly, he tends to slow the process down, rather than speed it up.  This flatbread was a turning point, because my 7 year old more than held his own in the assembly line, rolling out balls of dough on his own for me to cook on the skillet.  We spend a lot of time cooking and baking together, but for the first time "helping" me actually saved time!


Flatbread
(Click here for printable recipe.)

Wet Ingredients:
2 tsp apple cider vinegar plus plain soy milk to equal 1/2 C
1/2 C warm water
1 Tbs sugar
1 packet (1/4 oz) highly active yeast

Dry Ingredients:
2 2/3 C white whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt

Additional:
vegetable oil for bowl and skillet

Combine apple cider vinegar and soy milk in a nonreactive container and set aside.  Combine water, sugar and yeast in a separate nonreactive container and also set aside for at least five minutes.  Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk together.  Stir wet ingredients into dry, then knead dough, either by hand or with a machine, until smooth and stretchy.  (This is a very wet dough, so be careful if kneading by hand not to add too much additional flour.)

Form dough into a ball, then roll several times in a greased bowl, so that outside of ball is oiled.  Cover with a warm, damp towel and allow to rise for one hour or until doubled in size.  Punch down dough and divide into 8 pieces.  One at a time, form each piece into a ball, then press down and roll out on a well floured surface into a thin circle.

Very lightly grease a skillet and heat to medium.  Place dough circle on pan, then watch closely until bubbles form and bottom begins to brown within a minute or two at most.  Flip flatbread and cook other side until it also begins to brown.  Remove bread from skillet and repeat until all dough is cooked, then wrap in a kitchen towel until ready to serve.


I've previously hesitated to post my taco filling recipe on the blog, because living here in Florida surrounded by amazing Cuban food, I am painfully aware of its Midwestern roots.  (Given the current Taco Bell lawsuit maybe I shouldn't be so embarrassed!)  Nutritionally it's a huge improvement from a pan of ground beef and one of those sodium filled packets of "taco seasoning." I've also learned as a mom to mix in extras like beans and corn, rather than put them out in separate bowls on the table, because that's exactly where they'll stay!

Taco Filling for Wimps
(Click here for printable recipe.)

2 Tbs olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
kosher salt and white pepper to taste
1 lb ground turkey
15 oz can diced tomatoes with liquid or 2 C prepared salsa
1/4 C ground flax seed
15 oz can beans, rinsed (pinto, kidney or black)
1 C frozen corn

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.  Saute onions until translucent.  Stir in garlic and spices, then add turkey.  Cook until all pink is gone, then add diced tomatoes or salsa.  Stir in ground flax, beans and corn.  Bring mixture to a bubble, then reduce heat and simmer for five to ten minutes.  Adjust seasonings and serve.


Serve with tortillas or flatbread and lots of toppings.  (The "make your own" aspect is The Kid's favorite part!)  Some to consider are:
  • avocados (sliced or as guacamole)
  • Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream
  • salsa
  • onions
  • bell pepper
  • cilantro
  • lettuce
  • tomato
  • olives
Plus anything else you'd like!


I'm sending my son's super sandwich creation to Deb of Kahakai Kitchen for Souper Sunday, where you will find it with an amazing round up of soups, salads and sammies.

Be sure to check back tomorrow for the results of the giveaway of a copy of Juniper Skinner's book, "Food Allergies and Me!"

7 comments:

Alisa Fleming said...

This is such a fabulous idea Libby! Looks like the kid was spot on in this one ... and it seems he's even more helpful when it's his creation! So cool.

Jennifer is Always Sick said...

Taco filling for wimps - I like that. Yours is more complex that mine. Don't feel bad.

Colette said...

What a terrific idea! Leave it to the kids!

Deb in Hawaii said...

This looks so stuffed full of good things and so delicious too--love the soft flatbread wraps. Thanks for sharing at Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

Cursuri Engleza said...

This looks great. The Kid had an amazing idea. Very good and yummy recipe you posted. And someday, the Kid will speed up the process, don’t worry.

Anonymous said...

The kid is a genius!!! Brillant idea - one that I'm sure Guppy would love, too, especially since we don't ever do tacos as taco shells are as rare as honest politians! And he's such a cutie-pants! Gup has a drawing here waiting to be sent to him, too...I'm so sorry - I need to get my poop in a group!

Maggie said...

What a creative kid you have there! And isn't it awesome when they start to be real partners in the kitchn? The naan looks fantastic.