2009-07-07

Frozen Mango Coconut Key Lime Pie

My first attempts at Key Lime Pie were absolutely delicious, but too labor intensive and calorie laden to make it a regular occurrence. Key Lime is my husband's favorite pie, so I decided to attempt a mango variation for Fathers Day. I replaced one of the cans of coconut milk with a mango and reduced the sugar, plus decided to try making a chocolate crust with coconut oil instead of nondairy margarine. The filling had an unpleasant metallic overtone, but the crust was so good, we sat around and scraped the filling off of it, so as not to lose a single crumb!
This month's challenge for You Want Pies with That? is a Taste of Summer pie. Since we are huge fans of mango lime sorbet, I decided to simply eliminate the egg replacer, which I suspected of leaving the metallic taste behind, and make a perfect frozen summer pie instead. Guess what? It worked.
Crust:
12-14 chocolate graham crackers, finely crushed (about 1 1/2 C)
2 Tbs raw sugar
1/2 C coconut oil
Filling:
13.5 oz can coconut milk
1/3 C granulated sugar
flesh of 1 large or 2 small mangoes, pureed
1/2 C key lime juice (about 12 key limes)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Crush graham crackers in a food processor, then add raw sugar and coconut oil. Mix until combined. Turn mixture out into a 9" pie pan and gently press it with a flat bottomed glass or measuring cup until the bottom and sides are evenly covered. Bake for 8 minutes. Set aside until cooled.
Combine coconut milk and sugar in a small pan and cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and add mangoes and lime juice. Mix the filling with an immersion (stick) blender, then allow to cool. Place in a nonreactive container (a Pyrex 4 Cup measuring cup is perfect) and chill in refrigerator. Once cold, give it another whirl with the stick blender to aerate it a bit, then pour into crust and place in freezer overnight.

9 comments:

Madam Chow said...

Don't you love it when a culinary experiment works? I like the idea of using the coconut oil, and will have to try that myself.

Sara said...

Ooooh, this looks delicious! I love the flavor combos. :)

Debbie said...

I so much enjoy reading how cooks develop their creations! I agree with Sara ... the flavor combinations sound great

Jen H said...

mango and Lime are perfectly summery together. Great job!

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

Oh yummy! What a great looking pie!! I bet mango would've been delicious!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

Kate said...

Great idea to try the mango-lime combo. Glad it worked!

Anne said...

The flavors sound yummy and I love the changes you made to make it a healthier recipe. Great joB!

Jacque said...

Sounds perfectly tropical and yummy!

Way to make it work.

Swaha Miller said...

Wow!. Mango is my daughter's favorite fruit, I have made her mango coconut popscicles but never thought to add key lime. Now I know what to do with the bag of key limes I picked up on sale :-D Doo you think this would hold up for slicing and serving without a crust?