2009-04-08

"Like a Virgin" Cherry Tart

What a challenge! Jacque of Daisy Lane Cakes and Natashya of Living in the Kitchen with Puppies offered up this month's fabulous theme for You Want Pies With That, a lifestyles of the rich and famous pie, that is a pastry either in honor of or intended for a celebrity.
It was a wonderfully creative assignment, and I immediately had an idea. A really, really bad idea. An idea so bad that it took over whatever processing space was available in my brain to contemplate the dietary habits of important historical figures with the culinary equivalent of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall."

Finally I gave in to my inherently poor taste and went into the kitchen to cement the damage the "Sweeney Todd Pie" did to my reputation, not to mention endanger my status as a family friendly blog.
You're so fine and you're mine
Make me strong, yeah you make me bold
Oh your love thawed out
Yeah, your love thawed out
What was scared and cold
For the Material Girl herself I made a wholesome crust with the additions of rolled oats, flax seed meal, and applesauce. (I'll share the recipe after I tweak the proportions. The flavor is simply amazing, but the texture isn't tender enough.) It perfectly complemented the tempting black cherries, previously frozen, which had just a touch of sugar, lemon juice, and corn starch added. To top it off, I sprinkled a ring of toasted coconut along the outside circumference of the tart.
On the bright side, at least I wasn't able to figure out how to make a cone out of dough to bake as a top crust.

6 comments:

Sara said...

I love it! A very inspired pie, and it looks delicious too! :)

suz said...

Very creative!

Anonymous said...

You have me cracking up! Libby - your sense of humor rocks! It looks delicious.
And thanks for the great dino party ideas - you rule!

Jacque said...

LOL, a cone out of dough... too funny!

Your pie looks and sounds absolutley delicous!

Maggie said...

LOL! You need to find an aluminium funnel touse as a mold and bake it separately then unmold it and add it to the finished pie.

The oat/flax pastry sounds delicious! I hope you figure out the texture issue and share it.

Coffee and Vanilla said...

What a great dessert Libby! :)
I stopped making lunchboxes myself, as the preschool my daughter is going is only for 3 hours, twice a week, so she eats at home, but I will be back to making lunchboxes once she start going there everyday.

Have a nice day and don't forget to submit your entry to Mayan Magic Chocolate-Making Kit Giveaway... :)

Margot