2008-11-18

Thanks for "Nothing" Thanksgiving Round Up

Thanks so much to all of you who were kind enough to send your recipes. This was the first food event that I've hosted myself, and, well, it's been a learning experience. Here's a few tips I managed to pick up:
  • Ask your spouse, trusted friend, or any random passerby for a second opinion about event titles that seems witty, especially if it has the potential to be offensive or off putting.
  • Allow a longer period for the event.
  • Do not plan to post the round up while having house guests.
So without any further delay, here's the amazing Thanksgiving recipes in the order they were received.
Speedbump Kitchen
sent an inspired allergy friendly Pumpkin Pie, Midwest Style. She adapted a no-bake pie recipe to be egg and dairy free with some surprising ingredients.

Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella modified the recipe for her beautiful Apple Maple Tartlets to be not just elegant, but vegan friendly.

Rianne of Art of Dessert has a young son with multiple food allergies, who is fortunate enough to have a talented professional pastry chef as a mom. She has sent not one, but three gorgeous deserts free of eggs, nuts, and soy.
First in the line up is a mouth watering Carrot Cake.
Then she reinvents the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie.
Finally she shares her Muddy Buddies, a treat with certain kid appeal.

Apu of Annarasa Essence of Food shares Herby Oven-Baked Chips, a savory side dish perfect for a Thanksgiving feast.

Linds of This Abode turned on the creativity to bake an original Pie Crust free of all of the top eight allergens, a real feat. She leaves the filling up to you.

Maggie of Dog Hill Kitchen has another scrumptious vegan apple desert, Apple Phyllo Strudel. It hadn't even occurred to me that phyllo could be dairy free, now I'll be scouring the freezer case to find some!

Leigha of Food Allergy Family Fun sends two recipes for easy quick breads, Banana Bread and Pumpkin Bread, both of which can also be baked as muffins. Hopefully she'll share a photo of her next batch!
My contribution to the Thanksgiving table is an egg, dairy, and nut free Cornbread and Wild Rice Dressing.


A late, but enticing submission came in from Rachel of The Crispy Cook. Her Copper Pennies are vegan and gluten free, not to mention far more appealing than green bean casserole.

I'm not sure who started the tradition of drawing a name from a Kitchen Aid bowl, but The Kid himself did the honors, and the winner of the wild rice is....

Speedbump Kitchen. Thanks again to all of you who sent in your fabulous entries! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really wanted to submit something, but just ran out of time. Actually, most of what we make is already vegan (stuffing, mashed taters w/soy milk, pumpkin pie, fruit pies, etc.) almost all the recipes I use are other people's and from cookbooks. You *must* try Susan V's greenbean casserole, it's vegan but not GF. I never, ever liked greenbean casserole, but this is so good!

Rachel said...

Thanks for letting me contribute to this roundup "under the wire". This is an impressive table full of recipes and would make a great feast. I thought your event name was kind of clever, myself. Surely nobody would think you weren't truly thankful for all the good things in your life and were just putting a little twist on a phrase.

I hope you and your family enjoy a healthy, delicious and allergen-free Thanksgiving holiday.

Bella's Mama said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Art of Dessert said...

Thank you for hosting this event Libby. It's such a great idea. Now I have some new recipes to try out and new friends as well :o)

Maggie said...

Great event! That pie crust with the coconut sounds really delicious.

Anonymous said...

I tried the chocolate chip cookie recipe and all I can say is "THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for bringing chocolate chip cookies back into my life ;)" This taste just the real thing, but w/o eggs/nuts.

Anonymous said...

Addition to my note above ... I was the one who tried the cookies and thought they were great. I've found that Nestle and Ghiradelli chocolate chips are made in a factory that uses peanuts/nuts. I used Hershey's semi-sweet chocolate chips which do not have the "Processed with..." label.

Libby said...

Thanks again, you guys! I think I'll do this again next year, only with a little more lead time and organization!

Anon, it's Rianne you have to thank for the awesome choc chip cookie recipe. For those of you with dairy allergies, Tofutti makes a cream cheese substitute that bakes well. (It does have soy.) Plus Enjoy Life makes great choc chips free of all the top eight allergens.