2008-11-03

Thanks for "Nothing" Thanksgiving Round Up

Holidays that center on food are especially difficult for the dietary restricted. Now that we've made it through Halloween, we're coming face to face with the big one, Thanksgiving, which has finally motivated me to host my own event.
I'd like you to send me your best Thanksgiving recipes that fall into one or more of the following three categories:
  • vegan
  • gluten free
  • "allergy friendly," i.e. free from milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and shellfish*
Post the recipe on your own blog describing how it meets one of these dietary needs. (Unless, of course, your blog is already vegan, gluten free, etc.) Link back to this post and send an email with "Thanksgiving Round Up" in the subject line to allergiesmom(at)gmail(dot)com and include the following information:
  • your name
  • geographic location (optional)
  • blog
  • permalink to post
  • photo (which I may resize if needed)
You may repost an older recipe as long as you update it to include the event information. It would be especially nice if you modified a favorite recipe to meet one of these restrictions. If you live outside of the U.S., feel free to participate by posting an appropriate recipe for a seasonal celebration of your own.
To show my appreciation, I will randomly select one of the entries and send the lucky ducky a 12 oz bag of wild rice. In case I miss one of the finer points of vegan or gluten free cookery, I may ask someone more expert to check over the winning entry, so watch out for those marshmallows, extracts, and sweeteners! Please be very detailed about an ingredient if there could be any confusion.
The deadline is midnight EST on Saturday, November 15th, so that there will be enough time for the winner to receive the wild rice in the mail before Thanksgiving. I'll be happy to accept late entries, but they will not be eligible for the prize.
Thank you so much for participating in this event!
*I realize that the allergens I've selected are somewhat arbitrary, but they make up five of the top eight food allergies, and they are some of the ones we deal with in our house.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a great idea, Libby! I'm going to put my thinking cap on - we're hosting a huge vegan anti-colonialism day/Thanksgiving day feast (I'm of course the only US ex-pat, but who cares? A party is a party!). I'm sure I can come up with something!

TxMom said...

I just listed the EASIEST three-ingredient recipe for Pumpkin Bread on my blog here: http://foodallergyfamilyfun.blogspot.com/2008/11/recipes-banana-breadmuffins-pumpkin.html . It is vegan and also peanut/tree nut-free.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to do my best to get something new in before the deadline, but I also just posted a vegan chocolate pecan pie recipe that I've submitted to a different blog event already and can't repeat for the "Thanks for Nothing" one. But I do think pecan pie is a great holiday dessert!